- National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology (NIELIT) is a capacity building arm of MeitY that has presence at 42 locations across the country.
- As per the study conducted by Manufacturer’s Association for Information Technology (MAIT) now in every household, offices, banks, post-offices and in essence every office work is based on PCs. However, there is wide gap of trained Hardware professional available and requirements.
- The Computer Hardware & Maintenance (CHM) courses were launched in the year 2006 in association with MAIT as it was estimated that the computer hardware professionals required by the year 2010 will be 2.4 million.
- The curriculum of courses was designed by an Expert Committee under the chairmanship of Head of Department, Department of Computer Science, IIT-Delhi and representatives of leading hardware industries such as HCL Infosystems, IBM, Wipro Technologies and members from hardware training organizations led by Executive Director, MAIT.
- The objective of the scheme was to generate quality manpower for computer hardware maintenance and networking by utilizing the facilities and expertise available with training institutes/ organizations in the non-formal sector.
- Industry vetted hands on skill oriented,confident building training with sate of the art curricula to lead every one towards self employment